Features & Advantages
- Highly effective biological product that removes even toughest of the filamentous algae strains and control blanket weed in ponds.
- Consists of enzymes and minerals with long lasting residual effect, which means NBS VITE continues to work long after the application blanket weed control.
- Gives desired results all the year round. Unique product formula for blanket weed removal and is effective under cold as well as warm weather conditions.
- Effectively eradicates resistant strains on which popular bacterial or chemical products have failed.
- Blanket weed Pond Safe on pumps and biological filters, concrete or pond synthetic liners
- Protein skimmers and UV lights need not be turned off while treatment.
- Product action includes starving of blanket weed by chelating and absorbing nutrients (phosphates and nitrates) essential for its survival.
- No effect upon the pH level of the water.
- Rapid action, results visible within short time after application yet safe and eco-friendly.
- Easy to use granules, which could be conveniently sprinkled straight onto the affected areas.
How To Use
Instructions on back label.
What is Blanket Weed?
Blanket weed is the worst nightmare of any pond lover. It is classified under Spirogyra genus and therefore is a filamentous algae and not a plant contrary to what the popular name “weed” suggests. Some of the other aquatic algae in filamentous form that are mostly found in un-shaded ornamental ponds and water-falls include Rhizoclonium and Enteromorpha Spirogyra, Ulothrix, Cladophoraglomerata and genus Charamacrophytic varieties. Aforementioned algae types are most difficult to get rid of. They tend to keep their colour and shape even when treated with regular algae treatments.
What are causes for Blanket Weed infestation in water bodies?
Blanket weed, like all algae, is autotrophic i.e. it is self-feeding and photosynthesis in the presence of sunlight. Blanket weed multiply very fast under favourable conditions, growing more than two metres in a day. The supporting environment for blanket weed to grow include:
- Abundance of sunlight: ponds located in un-shaded parts of the lawn receive ample sunlight and support photosynthesis. Also, the ponds with clear, clean water are more susceptible to blanket weed attack as they offer a deep photic zone for photosynthesis to occur.
- Abundance of nutrients: pond lovers nurture fish in their ponds. The tendency to overfeed the fish results in more fish waste than the biome of the pond could handle. Fish waste, half eaten or excess fish food, and dead organic matter (dried leaves and vegetation from the surroundings) adds to the nutrient overload in the ponds. Algae including blanket weed thrive on these nutrients, namely ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. Sometimes these nutrients are also present in the tap water which may be used to fill the pond.
- Warm weather conditions: Onset of spring/ summer months brings ample sunlight and makes pond water warm enough to allow blanket weed to flourish beyond control. During warmer months till now clear water may suddenly become covered with blanket weed, this happens because blanket weed spores survive for long in lyophilized state (dry state) under unfavourable conditions and grow with suitable environment.
How to eliminate Blanket weed?
Pond lovers should prepare their ponds beforehand to prevent the outbreak of blanket weed. Some of the pre-emptive efforts may include colouring the pond water using water dyes to cut out sunlight and controlling excessive nutrients in the water through various measures such as:
- Proper aeration.
- Avoiding overfeeding of the fish.
Even after all precautions and preventive measures your pond may still experience blanket weed bloom. NBS VITE is the perfect answer to all your woes regarding the nuisance. This highly efficient yet safe product disrupts the nutrition process of even toughest of the blanket weed variety. The special product formula includes minerals and enzymes that starve the algae of the nutrients necessary for its survival.
NBS VITE eradicates even the most resilient form of filamentous algae. The residual effect of the blanket weed control product in the water protects your pond for a long period after blanket weed treatment without affecting pumps or biological filters.